Disabled American Veterans

Do I qualify?

If you are a 100% service connected disabled veteran, umemployable or the unmarried widow, you may qualify for a real estate/personal property tax exemption.

Arkansas Statute 26-3-306

Statute 26-3-306 provides tax exemption for homestead and personal property owned by the disabled veteran and, with restrictions, the surviving spouse and minor dependent children for residents of Arkansas. A disabled veteran who has been awarded special monthly compensation by the Department of Veteran Affairs for the loss of, or the loss of use of one or more limbs, for total blindness in one or both eyes, or for service-connected 100% total and permanent disability shall be exempt from all state taxes on the homestead and personal property owned by the disabled veteran.

  • The Veteran/Widow must be on Personal Property Assessment and Title
  • The Veteran/Widow must be listed as owner on the real estate property.
  • The Veteran/Widow must submit Summary of Benefits letter to their Mortgage company
  • The Veteran/Widow is not eligible for the Amendment 79 Homestead Credit or Over 65 Freeze as long as they are receiving the DAV Exemption
  • The Widow of a Disabled Veteran must remain unmarried or a subsequent marriage terminated to receive benefits

What Qualifies for Exemption

Personal Property other than that used for commercial or business purpose in which the veterans name is on the assessment and title.

Real Estate The primary resident of the veteran and up to 1 acre of adjoining land inside city limits and up to 160 acres of adjoining land outside city limits.

How do I Apply?

  • You’ll need to provide a copy of your Summary of Benefits letter which is mailed out by the Veterans Affairs Office in January of each year. If this letter is not received by April 1st, call 1-800-827-1000 or visit Fort Roots Building 65, North Little Rock, AR.
  • DAV letter must be received by October 15th each year.
  • The Veteran must have: Summary of Benefits Letter
  • The Widow must have:
You may turn your paperwork in person or by mail:

400 Laurel, Ste 111
Texarkana, AR 71854

Phone: 870-774-1001
Fax: 870-772-2411
Email: [email protected]


The Miller County Tax Collectors office would like to remind disabled veterans that as you receive your yearly benefit letter from Department of Veterans Affairs we will need a copy of it in our office to maintain your exempt status. For your convenience you may email a copy of your letter to [email protected] or mail to 400 Laurel, Ste. 111, Texarkana, AR 71854. If you are mailing a copy to us please remember to include your telephone number in case we have any questions for you. If you are the surviving spouse of a veteran please complete an affidavit.
If you have any questions please call our office.

Thank you for your service.

Please visit the state website for additional information